For the unit 3 – second project, the Specific Competency: Rewrite information to explain how a machine or device works, I decided to take a different approach by combining Crafts as a preview. (also recycling 5th grade material)
- First, the students review the action words (verbs) used in most common crafts.
- Second, the students made two instructive using this printable of crafts. (The pictures are to make everything clearer)
- Third, students have to make their own instructive of craft of their choice.
The 2 crafts are:
Crown of Hearts (featured in last year Valentine’s craft)
- Colored paper
- Draw a heart
- Write a sweet phrase
- Color or decorate
- Cut heart
- Staple into a heart shaped crown.
Spring Pencil Toppers
- Pipe cleaners
- Draw and decorate a spring shape (butterfly, caterpillar, rabbit, etc)
- Cut shape
- Paste or tape shape to pipe cleaner
- Coil around pencil.
After these crafts, we jump to devices and manuals using this printable of devices.
- First, make a list of functions of the devices: computer, cell phone, boombox and tablet.
- Second, make mini manual of HOW TO TURN ON THE RADIO as an example: First, plug in power cord. Second, push POWER button. Third, select FM
- Third, students choose a function of their cell phone and make the manual.